What Is Social Media Marketing?Social media marketing first started with publishing where businesses were sharing their content on social media to generate traffic to their websites and, hopefully, increase sales. But social media has matured far beyond being just a place to share content. These days, businesses use social media in a myriad of different ways. Some ways in which businesses use social media are, monitoring social media conversations and analyzing their reach, views, likes, follows, engagement, and sales. Social media marketing is simply digital marketing that involves connecting with your audience to market your brand and boost sales for your business or company. Social media marketing activities involve publishing radically different social actions such as sharing short messages/texts, videos, media links, joining events/groups. It also involves the use of paid social media advertising to drive audience engagement, build brand awareness and increase sales. We’ve created this guide to help you understand the relevance of social media marketing and how to develop a compelling social media marketing plan for your business this year. The major social media platforms in 2021 are Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, YouTube, TikTok, and Snapchat
Why is social media marketing relevant in 2021?While it may seem overwhelming, the importance of social media cannot be overstated. It’s so important that 97% of marketers and 78% of salespeople are using social media for their business. Plus, its benefits extend far beyond increasing sales. However, not all businesses are aware of the benefits of social media marketing. 50% of small businesses aren’t using social media to promote their business. That’s an alarming number. Even more concerning is that an additional 25% don’t plan to use social media in the future either.
How Will Social Media Boost Your Business Online1. Makes it easy to promote your business 2. Help you increase your clients reach 3. Promotes brand recognition and awareness 4. Increase traffic to your website 5. Build your conversions 6. Enhance communication and engagement with target audiences 7. It is mostly FREE! Do you now see the relevance of using social media marketing to boost your brand online and drive sales? Are you ready to get started with marketing on social media? Here are a few things to consider before you kick-start your social media marketing
1. Start With a Strategic GoalSocial media strategy planning starts with identifying your brand’s goal. Maybe, you want to use social media to increase your brand awareness, generate engagement around your brand, or even drive website traffic and sales this year. Either way, your goals will define your content strategy and how much time and energy you’ll need to dedicate to your campaigns. Additionally, the goals you set for your business must be SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time-bound). Starting a social media marketing campaign without a strategy goal in mind is like going to visiting a new city without a map—you might have fun, but probably get lost. Second, research to know which social media platforms your competitors are and where they have their largest reach/following. Your competitors can provide valuable data for keyword research and other social media marketing insight. Start by creating accounts on the same platforms to beat the competition, but always do it better! You can also figure out which social media platforms you want to focus on. Aside from the major social media platforms, there are also social messaging platforms like Messenger, WhatsApp, and WeChat you can explore. Always start with a few platforms that you think your target audience is rather than to be on all platforms.
Here are quick questions to ask yourself when defining your social media marketing goals:Why do I want my brand on social media? What am I hoping to achieve with my brand through social media campaigns? Who is my realistic target audience? Where does my target audience hang out and how would they use social media? What message do I want to send to your audience using social media marketing? Your business type should inform and drive your social media marketing strategy. Last, think about what type of content you want to share to attract your target audience best? Will they be images, videos, or links? Is it going to be informational, educational, or entertaining? With time, you can always change your strategy according to how your social media posts perform by tracking the data using analytical tools.
2. Plan and Create (curate) compelling contentBy now, you have managed to figure out your strategy goal through research and planning. But how about your content strategy? The next thing to consider after setting out your goal is to develop your content strategy with great, compelling, and innovative ideas. Publishing content to social media is as simple as sharing a blog post, an image, or a video on your personal Facebook or Instagram profile. But in this case, you will want to plan your content ahead of time instead of creating and publishing content spontaneously. Also, your content must be informative, educational, or entertaining depending on the goal you set for yourself in the beginning. Examples of content you can consider are stories, images, short-lived videos, and showing your audience the human behind the posts they see. To ensure you are maximizing your reach, always publish content at the right time and frequency. There are a variety of social media scheduling tools that can help you publish your content automatically at your preferred time. This saves you time and allows you to reach your audience when they are most likely to engage with your content.
3. Listen and Interact With Your AudienceAs your business and social media following begins to grow, conversations about your brand will also increase if you strategise well. One key to being successful in social media is to listen and interact with your audience. People will comment on your social media posts, tag you in their social media posts, or message you directly. Always find time to respond and address their concerns. This will show you are reliable and they can trust you for a quick response to your products. So what is social listening? Social listening involves tracking conversations around your brand and in your industry and using the information to review your marketing strategies. Social listening and interacting will help you understand your audience better, where they like to hang out, and what they like to talk about. It is simply finding out what people are saying about you. If you’re not using social listening, you’re leaving a lot of great insights on the table. Social listening and social monitoring are however two different things. Social listening involves what your audience does and social monitoring is about why they do what they do. People might even talk about your brand on social media without letting you know. So you will want to monitor social media conversations about your brand. If it’s a positive comment, you get a chance to surprise them. Otherwise, you can offer support and correct a situation before it gets worse. There are several social media listening tools out there that you can use, explore and find the one that best suits you and your budget.
4. Track your analyticsAlong the way, you will want to know how your social media campaign is performing. Are you reaching more people on social media compared to months back? How much positive feedbacks do you get? How many people used your brand’s hashtag on their social media posts? The social media platforms themselves provide a basic level of such information. To get more in-depth analytics information or to easily compare across social media platforms, you can use a wide range of social media analytics tools. For example, Google Analytics can be used to measure your social media marketing techniques, as well as determine which strategies are better off abandoned.
Metrics you can measure with analytical tools
1. ReachThe number of unique accounts that have seen any of your posts.
2. ClicksRefers to the number of clicks on your post or account. Tracking clicks per campaign are essential to understand what drives curiosity or encourage people to buy.
3. ImpressionsThe total number of times all of your posts have been seen.
4. EngagementThis refers to the total number of social interactions divided by the number of impressions and sheds light on how well your audience perceives you and their willingness to interact. It can also be measured by the number of times your post was liked, saved or commented on.
5. Hashtag performanceWhat were your most-used hashtags? Which hashtags were most associated with your brand?
6. SavedThis refers to the number of unique users that saved your post.
7. Profile visitsTimes your profile was viewed.
8. FollowingThe number of accounts that started following you. Having these answers can help shape the focus of your content going forward.
5. AdvertisingWhen you have more funds to grow your social media marketing, an area that you can consider is social media advertising. Social media ads allow you to reach a wider audience than those who are following you. These platforms are so powerful nowadays that you can specify exactly who to display your ads to. You can create target audiences based on their demographics, interests, behaviours, and more. When you are running many social media advertising campaigns at once, you can consider using a social media advertising tool to make bulk changes, automate processes, and optimize your ads. CONTACT SEO DIGITAL NOW TO HELP YOU DEVELOP A COMPELLING SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING STRATEGY At SEO Digital Ghana, we use social media marketing to build your brand and boost your sales. Get all the benefits of social media with SEO Digital Ghana Now!
What is Digital Marketing?Digital marketing, also known as online marketing or internet advertising is a big deal these days. Internet usage has doubled over the past decade. This shift has massively affected how people purchase products, services and interact with businesses. So, what is digital marketing? It is simply the use of the internet, emails, mobile devices, social media, search engines, and other channels to reach the right consumers. All these forms of marketing help introduce people to your company and convince them to buy your products. One key element of digital marketing is that, it requires the use of innovative approaches to attract and understand your potential customers as compared to traditional marketing.
Digital Marketing Assets and Strategies That Can Boost Your BrandDigital assets and strategies are vital in today’s market and if you don’t keep up, you will be left behind. Let’s take a look at what your business needs to maximise its marketing plan and start reaping profits.
Digital Marketing AssetsAssets are values owned by a group or company. Marketing items used to project your business and get potential clients attracted to buy your products are termed Digital Assets. Are you using the available digital assets you have at your disposal to boost your marketing? If you’re unsure, don’t worry, here are few examples:
- Your website
- Branded assets (logos, icons, acronyms, etc.)
- Video content (video ads, product demos, etc.)
- Images (infographics, product shots, company photos, etc.)
- Written content (blog posts, eBooks, product descriptions, testimonials, etc.)
- Online products or tools (calculators, interactive content, etc)
- Social media pages
Digital Marketing StrategiesStrategies for digital marketing is also constantly evolving. Some strategies businesses use are:
1. Pay-Per-Click AdvertisingPPC advertising is any type of digital marketing where you pay for every user who clicks on an ad like Google AdWords and Facebook Ads.
2. Paid Search AdvertisingGoogle, Bing and Yahoo allow you to run text ads on their Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs) to target potential clients who are actively searching for a product or service like yours.
3. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)With SEO, you can rank pages or blog posts on your site organically and not have to pay directly for every click, but this usually takes quite a bit of time and effort.
4. Paid Social Media AdvertisingSocial media platforms like Twitter allow you to run ads on their site to increase your business’s visibility with audiences.
5. Social Media MarketingThis is free and organic however, organically marketing your business on social media takes a lot more time and effort but in the long run, can deliver much cheaper results.
6. Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO)CRO is the art and science of improving your online user experience. Most of the time, businesses use CRO to get more conversions (leads, chats, calls, sales, etc.) out of their existing website traffic.
7. Content MarketingThis is another fairly broad digital marketing term. Content marketing covers any digital marketing effort that uses content assets (blog posts, infographics, eBooks, videos, etc.) to build brand visibility, drive clicks or sales.
8. Native AdvertisingEver get to the bottom of an article and see a list of suggested articles? That’s native advertising and mostly fall under content marketing because it uses content to attract clicks.
9. Email MarketingThis form of online marketing is the oldest and it’s still going strong. Most digital marketers use email marketing to advertise special deals, highlight content (often as part of content marketing) or promote an event.
10. Affiliate MarketingAffiliate marketing is essentially paying someone else (a person or a business) to promote your products and services on their website.
How Powerful is Digital Marketing Now?With technology continually evolving, so do the behaviours of consumers. As a result, we have seen how traditional forms of advertising has continued to decline. We have also watched how digital advertising have grown from strength to strength. Some reasons for this include, an increase in the way we access information, news and an increased activity on digital devices. In addition, digital marketing is affordable, which allows any sized business with any size budget to target specific markets effectively. Today, just having a website is no longer enough to engage your audience and convert them to new customers. It is now important to consider implementing a complete digital plan that works across multiple channels. With this in mind, here are 7 reasons why you need digital marketing for your business:
1. Increase reachWith the growth of the internet, more people are spending their time online. Over 7.7 billion people use the internet across the globe. It has become an integral part of everyday life to conduct searches, check social media, and purchase products online. Your customers are online, which highlights the importance of digital marketing. They’re browsing the web looking for your products or services. If they can’t find your services/products because you’re not online, you risk losing those leads to your competitors. To drive the best results for your business, you need to build your online presence. This will help you reach more audience that want your products or services.
2. More Advanced AnalyticsWith digital marketing you know the following about your ads and audience:
- Whether they actually saw it. With traditional marketing like TV and radio ads, you don’t even know that much.
- What they interacted with
- If they liked it
- If they lingered on it
- What they viewed
- If they shared it with a friend
- Did it prompt another action
- If it led to a sale
- Who’s most interested in your ads
- What are they like
- What makes them more likely to take an action
- Who is easiest to convert
- Who spends more
- What do they do online
- Gives you their demographics
- What terms do they use to find you online
- Which websites do they visit that lead them to yours
3. Keep up with your competitorsOnline marketing is highly competitive and your competitors have already taken advantage of it. They’ve created social profiles, adapted their website for SEO, and run paid advertisements to reach new leads. This reason in itself is one of the reasons why you should use digital marketing. If you want your business to compete with others, you have to do what your competitors are doing and even more. By neglecting digital marketing, you’re already falling behind your competition. Your competitors are gaining traffic that could be yours if you’re also investing in digital marketing. Customers online won’t know that your business is an option and will automatically choose a competitor. You must invest in digital marketing to get leads to consider your business as an option.
4. Target the right audienceThe ability to target the right audience is one of the most obvious reasons why digital marketing is important. Imagine being able to market directly to people who have an interest in your products or services. You have the capability to directly reach leads interested in your business. With digital marketing, you can target your audience more precisely than traditional methods. You can input important information about your audience and use that information to shape your marketing campaigns. It makes it easy for you to reach the right people. When you better target your audience, you drive better results with your campaign and reach more leads.
5. You can monitor and optimise your campaigns for better resultsThe importance of digital marketing is that you can easily track and monitor your campaigns. When you invest time and money into your campaigns, you want to know that they are working. Internet marketing makes it easy for you to track your campaigns, which allows you to adapt and drive better results. It can be challenging using traditional methods to know the results of your campaign. If you run a TV ad, you may have to ask every person that comes into the store about what brought them to your business. It would be a very time-consuming effort that could annoy people who visit your business. You don’t need to worry about bothering your audience with online ads. Every campaign you run is easily trackable to see if it is driving valuable results for your business. In addition, metrics such as impressions, clicks, views, comments, conversions, and more can be analysed. When you track your campaign’s performance, it’s easier to fix it and adapt to changes. With traditional advertising campaign, you typically can’t make changes until the campaign is over. It only benefits the next campaign you run, which can feel like you wasted money on the previous campaign. Whereas with online ads, you can see if they are successful or need improvement. If they need improvement, you can make immediate changes and implement them at any point during your campaign. In addition, online marketing helps you spend your budget more wisely to get more out of your campaigns.
6. Best return on your investment (ROI)If you want to know the importance of digital media, look at the results it drives for businesses. Marketing strategies online have awesome return on investment (ROI). When you invest in these methods, you’ll get more out of them. For example, email marketing has the highest ROI of any marketing method. Every $1 spent, you have the potential to earn a whopping 4400% in return. This is a great opportunity for you to grow and earn a profit from your marketing efforts. Internet marketing is also cost-effective and hence, leaves room for a great ROI. It doesn’t cost much to run a social media ad campaign, compared to certain traditional methods, and this gives businesses an opportunity to grow.
7. Easy to Scale & AdaptFor small businesses, it becomes very clear when you see how easy it is to scale and adapt as your business grows. Example, with social media campaigns, you can choose a daily budget and know how much it will cost without having to renegotiate an ad spot on TV. As you continue to convert that traffic, you just increase your daily spend and revenues with it. If you got a massive order from a customer and need to scale back to avoid getting backlogged, it’s just as easy. The power of digital marketing lies in the fact that, you can get instant results and analyze data fast to reduce wasted ad spend.
Digital Marketing StrategyAt SEO Digital, we recommend a professional online plan to raise awareness of your business and engage with prospective customers. Hence, strong digital marketing strategy should consist of the following elements:
1. WebsiteBuild a functional, professional and easy to navigate website. Include a blog on your site to update and inform your customers of any news in your industry. Also, consider inbuilt functionality to streamline office processes and make the customer experience better.
2. Search Engine Optimisation – (SEO)Your website needs to include high quality, relevant content about your business and services. A number of SEO techniques such as high quality content, and keyword research can all help with your online presence. Keep this up to date and integrate it with a website measurement tool such as Google Analytics to improve your chances of being found online. Additionally, using strong quality content and relevant keywords on your website can improve your organic search results and make you visible to people.
4. Mobile responsivenessIf your website is difficult to read, the chances are prospective customers won’t make an enquiry. Make sure your website is optimised for mobile devices and creates a pleasant user experience.
5. Social mediaThe development of social media platforms will grow your online audience, and assist with online marketing. Social Media allows you to speak directly with your customer base to provide valuable information and build trust digitally to to increase your audience.
6. Online AdvertisingConsider using various online advertising streams to increase your brand awareness. Common online advertising strategies such as Google AdWords allow you to target specific demographics and set your budget to suit your business. Online advertising is a highly effective way to add impact to your business and brand.
7. Nurturing your leadsYour digital strategies need to engage your customers to get them to take the next step and make a purchase. You need to have clear ‘call to action’ strategies built in to your digital platforms and make it easy for the customer to take that next step.
CONTACT US NOW FOR A DIGITAL MARKETING STRATEGYDigital marketing is becoming more complex, as we develop new ways of effectively reaching clients and driving revenues online. Your digital marketing strategy and assets are essential in driving business success. Contact SEO Digital today on firstname.lastname@example.org or +233 50 664 3847 if you would like to review your business’ online marketing to increase your client base and profits.
- On-page SEO – targets a specified keyword of the pages on a website and appeal to the search engines. Strategies include content creation and keyword optimization.
- Technical SEO – uses the non-content elements of your site and improves the backend of your brand. Strategies include data, security, and crawlability.
- Off-page SEO – links to other high-quality sites to build your brand’s reputation. The main strategy here is link building which in turn builds the site’s credibility.
What is SEM?Search Engine Marketing (SEM) is often referred to as paid marketing and it involves strategies to optimize the ad and pay to place your brand’s ad. This is also commonly referred to as PPC (Pay per click) marketing. The SEM process goes like –
- Perform a keyword research
- Create campaigns
- Place ads at the top after a search
- Pay as per the number of clicks
- Place your brand at a prominent position
- Drive traffic to your site resulting in more conversions
- Analyse the most popular keywords to target them
- Continuous testing and optimization is a must
Then why choose between SEO or SEM?Irrespective of the similarities, there are a number of differences which will force your brand to choose what suits you best:
- SEM is a paid tactic and appears as an “Ad”. SEO results appear as a search option
- SEM results include ad extensions, while SEO results appear as featured snippets
- SEO is absolutely free, SEM is paid of course
- SEM is target audience-specific, SEO is keyword specific (indirectly the target audience’s thought process)
- SEM results are immediate, SEO takes time to grow visibility organically – slow and steady
So how do I choose?Once you have understood the difference between the two search marketing strategies, it is important for you to analyze which is better for your brand.
- SEM is better for brand’s with higher competition
- SEO is better for those who know the target audience and want long term benefits
- SEM is better for short-term, higher budget strategies, while SEO is preferable for higher valued industries that would like to establish their brand on the internet well
- For newbies, SEM will help put you on the map immediately at least for a short while, while SEO helps establishes your brand
A conversion is when the traffic on your website is converted to customers who end up giving business to you. You may be getting all-time high traffic, but it would be no use if you aren’t getting any conversions.
The first indication of a good digital marketing strategy is to be getting a fair amount of traffic on your website. If that is working for you then the next step is to start getting some conversion. Although many experts say that there are specific keywords you can use for leads and conversions, there is really a number of strategies you can use. They have been discussed below.
1. Reduce the Number of Fields
When you have an email form that requires customer information, reduce the number of fields that the customer has to fill.
Customers usually like to keep it brief and concise. The more the number of fields they have to enter, the less likely they are to place an order. In some cases, each added field can reduce your conversion rate by as much as 11%. Therefore, always make sure to have only the most necessary fields.
2. Reduce the Risk
When shopping online, customers tend to be ambiguous about what they are ordering. Consequently, this reduces the number of people who convert. There is a certain percentage of online shoppers who are highly risk-averse. In order to increase your clientage to these individuals, make sure you give them guarantees about your product.
The best strategy is to have a refund policy. A refund policy where no questions are asked is certainly the most effective in this regard. If your product has some sort of certification then include that on the website as well.
3. Include testimonials
One of the most effective ways to increase your conversions and also bettering your services is by getting feedback. If feedback is positive, then you can make a testimonials tab and add it in that. Similarly, add all positive feedbacks that your product gets.
This includes a human element in digital shopping that helps clients build confidence in your product. Use testimonials whenever possible because if a visitor can relate to another customer then they are most likely to buy from your website.
Moreover, testimonials also increase your relative online authority which is a great way to increase your number of leads.
4. Put a Spotlight on Why Your product Should be Used
Your clients should be convinced that your product can help them. The most effective way of achieving that is by being explicit about the qualities of your product. If you are selling a phone and its battery lasts for a significantly long period, be explicit about it. Showcase all the qualities of your product so as putting a spotlight on them.
Furthermore, you can try and create a separate column on each product of why it should be bought. This strategy offers good readability as well for your website.
5. Make Headlines that Work
Headlines play a crucial role in getting traffic and focusing the emphasis on a particular quality of your product.
A good headline can change how a visitor looks at your product because it gives the first impression when your website is opened. As a general trend, the first impression is carried on.
1. Remove Sliders from Your HomepageYou may think about including a slider image if you read web designing tips. It has a few benefits. A slider allows you to add different features with the content you create. Remove the slider if you intend to boost your sales. There is no hard evidence that you need a slider for your website to increase sales.
2. Point out Which Plan Is More PopularUse psychology to your advantage and create slogans that resonate with the customers. Most of the marketers use statements such as America’s Number 1 to appear like experts. These statements can influence you to buy a product even if you have no solid information about it.
3. Include Your Contact InformationCustomers become angry when they are unable to find the contact information. Consider adding your contact details even if you are a B2B company. This might turn out to be the best tactic for your company to boost sales. Many vendor websites fail to mention their contact information.
4. Use an Inspiring Plan Name to Encourage UpgradesTry to mention brilliant clues on your website to change the decision of your customer. Increase the conversion rates by creating an inspiring name for your brand. One that sticks with the customers after he or she hears it first. Try to offer different plans for the customers to select.
5. Remove References to Buying above the FoldOften companies persuade people to try their product before speaking about the price. Instead of bashing about prices make sure the customer likes your product. Get rid of every reference that leads customers to buy your products. Don’t mention the price anywhere on your front page.
6. Make Your Landing Page Match Your AdThere’s a simple way to boost sales if you are using paid ads. Make the ads correlate with your landing page as the perfect sales strategy. This may encourage customers to sign in and buy your products. Match the layout and color theme of your web pages and ads.
7. Show Trust Icons on the Checkout PageTrust and loyalty are the two major things you need to strengthen to boost sales. Studies show that many online customers don’t buy a product if they don’t trust the website. Mention a short description defining your security measures. Customers don’t share basic information if they worry about their online safety. A certified seal can help you become a trusted friend of many new customers.
8. Include Images with Your TestimonialsShare a few stories to connect with your customers. Testimonials are very important, like reviews to increase conversions. Take a step further. Show pictures of your customers who have enjoyed your services or products. Quotes with images on it are one of the effective ways. People can relate to your customers and it is an amazing way of social proof.
Why PPC?The question that haunts small business owners the most is why to go for PPC? The answer is PPC enables you to reach the target audience quickly by specifying who can see your ads either by entering precise keywords or demographic characters. Other reasons that make PPC a must for your business to excel online:
Cost Effectiveness:The biggest misconception among business owners is that PPC is a costly affair and is nothing but wastage of money! But the truth is if you go by proper procedure then you can make your campaign profitable. Make slow start: Start with a small campaign and then if you are satisfied with the results to spend more money. If you do not have proper knowledge regarding Adwords and Facebook ads then it is recommended to hire professionals to set up the campaign for you.
Try different ways to lower your PPC costsIf you found that the campaign is profitable then keep increasing your budget else don’t waste on non-profitable ones.
- Keep eyes on your competitors and learn from them as they are a great source to gain knowledge from.
- Spend money on the keywords that generate profit.
- Best and quickest way to attract targeted audience
The easiest way to check if your product sellsIf you aim for a long-term online business then you need to run a campaign on Google Adwords and measure the results by getting 1000 targeted visits. Most of the businesses that do not follow this testing and optimization step incur fail in the online market.
It works well with various digital marketing channelsYou can test the efficiency of different keywords so that you get familiar with the keywords that need to be targeted for long-term SEO. PPC also helps in strengthening mobile marketing, email marketing campaigns. It also helps a lot in local search engine optimization and gets customers for your product or service. Hence if you own a business whether small or big and want to make it successful venture online use Pay Per Click advertising with help of professionals.
- It’s important to listen to what your target audience is saying
- Have a speciality and don’t be a jack of all trades
- Quality is better than quantity
- Success on social media doesn’t happen overnight
- Focus on creating content that sells itself
- Spend time finding the right people to interact with